Antigonish Community Energy Cooperative:
Helping residents and organizations in Antigonish and area take greater control of their energy security.
There is a long history of working cooperatively in Nova Scotia, rooted in the early work of the Antigonish Movement. We proudly carry the torch of community-driven social enterprise.
Antigonish Community Energy was established following the November 19th, 2014 and March 7th, 2015 Community Energy Forums. These sessions brought together a multitude of local stakeholders to develop a community-based energy sustainability plan. The coop is focused on the promotion of solar energy by enabling residents, organizations and businesses within Antigonish and the surrounding area to take greater control of their energy security. We do this primarily through facilitated group buys and supported installations of solar equipment.
Our intention is to work collaboratively with a diverse set of stakeholders to get "the right energy mix" for our community. Through this evolving process, our hope is to ensure a strong local economy while upholding the principles of environmental protection and sustainability. The initial goal of the Antigonish Community Energy Coop is to facilitate the installation of one Megawatt of photovoltaic electrical generation, spread over approximately 100 homes, businesses and organizations.
- Empower residents and businesses to confidently invest in clean, renewable energy at an affordable and competitive price.
- Work within the community to address how we obtain energy, and plan for sustainable energy production to address our changing needs.
- Contribute directly to the relief of poverty in our community which is due, in part, to the high cost of energy.
- Encourage energy efficiency, social justice, and environmental protection.
CARING FOR OUR COMMUNITY
Energy poverty is found all over our province. It occurs when our neighbours have to choose between food and heat, or when they face the stress of receiving a disconnection notice in the mid-January. As part of our commitment to the betterment of our communities, we are building an Anti-Poverty Fund via a 2% levy on all group purchases. This small fee, when multiplied by all our members going solar, will greatly contribute to the the installation of a solar system for a community organization.
At this time, we are working with the Antigonish Affordable Housing Society to investigate options for solar installation on their Phase 2 construction. We will share more information as it becomes available.
Governance, Structure and principles
Antigonish Community Energy Cooperative is incorporated as a Community Energy Cooperative with share capital under the Nova Scotia Cooperative Associations Act and operates under by-laws that are reviewed by the membership at every Annual General Meeting.
We adhere to the following 7 + 1 principles of cooperative governance.
- Voluntary and Open Membership
- Democratic Member Control
- Members’ Economic Participation
- Autonomy and Independence
- Education, Training and Information
- Cooperation among Cooperatives
- Concern for Community +
- Environmental Protection